Without an experienced Oklahoma City personal injury attorney on your side, you can lose a PI accident claim, even if you were not at fault.
Accidents caused by the reckless and negligent actions of others can leave you suffering serious personal injuries in Oklahoma City. Filing a personal injury accident claim can help you get the compensation you need to recover. However, even if you were not at fault, it is still possible to lose your case. Having an experienced Oklahoma City personal injury attorney on your side can help to protect your rights in this situation.
Protecting Yourself in Personal Injury Claims
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), accidental injuries send close to 40 million people to hospital emergency rooms each year. When they happen, it is important to take the following steps:
- Report it to the proper authorities right away;
- Get contact information for others involved;
- Gather evidence, such as the names of witnesses and photos from the scene;
- Seek medical attention, regardless of the severity of your injuries.
In addition to the above, you should also contact an experienced personal injury attorney right away. Doing so, along with taking the above steps, helps protect your rights in filing a PI claim.
Ways You Can Lose Your Claim, Even If You are Not at Fault
Under the Oklahoma Statutes, when the actions or inactions of others leave you suffering personal injuries, you have the right to hold them accountable. Unfortunately, even if you are not to blame for what happened, there are still ways you can lose your personal injury case. Among the most common include:
- Not having evidence to support your claim:In order to prove the other party is at fault, you need tangible evidence. In addition to witness statements and photos from the scene, a PI attorney can assist in gathering surveillance footage and testimony from accident reconstruction experts.
- Having statements you make used against you: Even if you were not at fault, statements you make at the accident scene or information provided to insurers in the aftermath could be used to cast doubt on your case.
- Failing to follow the proper procedures: Whether you are dealing with insurers or a personal injury lawsuit filed in court, there are certain requirements you must meet. Not responding to correspondence from the insurance company or failure to appear at hearings could cause you to lose a PI accident claim.
- Not filing your PI claim within established time limits: There are strict timelines you must meet in regards to reporting accidents, submitting insurance claims, and filing a personal injury lawsuit. This is one of the most common reasons for denied claims.
Get Our Oklahoma City Personal Injury Attorney on Your Side
To avoid losing an accident PI claim in which you are not at fault, reach out and contact Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker. You can count on us to take the swift legal actions needed to help you get the compensation you deserve. Request a consultation with our Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys today.